An exciting opportunity for choirs throughout the Middle Eastern region, to receive choral coaching and workshops from our professional workshop leaders for 2019.
Ragnar Rasmussen, Frank Havrøy and Lorenzo Donati will be sharing their knowledge, talent and unique approach. The festival is also a chance for choirs to learn from each other, networking and building relationships with fellow singers; as well as competing to win the coveted ‘Choir Of The Year’ title.
All participating choirs are invited to Dubai Opera to take part in the massed choral piece that will be performed on stage. Always an incredible and unforgettable moment! The music will be circulated upon registration.
The winning choirs will also have the opportunity to perform in the Gala Concert at Dubai Opera, on the 9thMarch 2019.
Past countries that have participated include choirs from Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Palestine and Jordan.
Selection process for the Choir of the Year
- All choirs are requested to submit a short video of their singing. The videos will be reviewed by the festival organisers and successful choirs will be awarded a place in the competition.
- Previous award winners (any award) gain automatic entry to Choir of the Year
- There is no maximum number of singers for a participating choir.
- There is free choice with regards to performance pieces, however it is strongly advised to include one piece from your traditional culture (if applicable).
- Each choir is allowed a maximum of three pieces with the total time of their performance lasting no longer than 12 minutes. Choirs may submit just two pieces if they so choose.
- Choirs may be of any type: a cappella, jazz, chamber, barbershop, choral society, etc.
- The judges will be rating the choirs using these criteria:
Technical Ability– tuning, diction, voice quality, balance, ensemble, dynamics and overall sound.
Musical Expression– communication, phrasing, passion, energy, commitment and interpretation of the text.
How to enter Choir of the Year
Fill-out the entry form by clicking ‘register’ at the bottom of this page. Someone from the ChoirFestME team will be in touch to discuss the packages and options on flights and accommodation. Or alternatively, submit your request for financial assistance if you believe that your choir qualifies.
There will be a piano on stage for accompaniment purposes, but choirs may also provide alternative instrumental backing or sing a cappella. (Please note that ChoirFestME will not be providing an accompanist for your choir).
Please submit your technical rider at least one month ahead of time. Let us know if you need any special sound equipment for your performance, whether there are any solos, and exactly what instruments will be on stage, if any.
We will send out a timetable for your soundcheck nearer the event.
We have very limited private rooms available for choirs to get changed before the concert.
Food and drink
Food and drinks are not provided, though there will be some great food trucks on site if you would like to purchase snacks, lunch and supper.
ChoirFest Middle East’s annual competition for choirs is very much the focus of the week and we encourage you to bring your friends and family to enjoy great music and a festival atmosphere. Seats are free and on a ‘first come first serve’ basis.
Tickets for the Gala Concert at Dubai Opera on the 9thMarch 2019 are on sale through www.dubaiopera.com. Watch out for earlybird offers and get your tickets quickly before they sell out!
In taking part in this event, choirs also agree to take part in any post-competition publicity if required and should be aware that there may be radio, TV or newspaper representation during the festival. Photographs and video may be taken by The Fridge for use in future publicity.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries about ChoirFest Middle East or the Choir of the Year competition.
Call: +971 4 3477793 and ask for Anne or Jad