UAE ADULT CHOIR
The Fridge is proud to present ChoirFest Middle East 2018 as it returns for a week long festival of choral music from 13th – 17th March.
ChoirFest Middle East provides choirs an opportunity to learn from each other, to receive coaching international leaders and participate in choral workshops led by a number of guest experts. The festival is also a chance for choirs to compete to win the coveted ‘Choir Of The Year,’ title network and build relationships with fellow singers.
As ChoirFest ME celebrates its sixth year, we welcome choral experts David Lawrence, Peter Broadbent & Ragnar Rasmussen, who will jointly be leading workshops and adjudication. The winning choirs will have the opportunity to perform at the gala concert at Dubai Opera stage on the 17th of March. However, all participating choirs are invited to Dubai Opera to take part in the massed choral piece that will be performed that night, for which the music will be circulated upon registration.
The inaugural ChoirFest Middle East was held in 2013. Since then, the festival has grown significantly. Last year we had over 50 choirs participating including choirs from Jordan and Morocco. We look forward to welcoming you and your choir in 2018!
ChoirFest Middle East are accepting applications for 2018’s Choir of the Year Competition.
- Due to the increasing number of choirs that wish to participate in Choir of the Year, we have introduced a selection process.
- Previous award winners (any award) gain automatic entry to Choir of the Year
- All other choirs should submit a short video of the choir singing. The videos will be reviewed by the festival organisers and successful choirs will be awarded a place in the competition.
The deadline for entries and videos is 15th January 2018.
- There is no maximum number of singers for a participating choir.
- Choirs may be of any type: a cappella, jazz, chamber, barbershop, choral society etc
- The judges will be rating the choirs using these criteria:
- Technical Ability – tuning, diction, voice quality, balance, ensemble, dynamics and overall sound.
- Musical Expression – communication, phrasing, passion, energy, commitment and interpretation of the text.
Each choir is allowed a maximum of three pieces with the total time of their performance lasting no longer than 12 minutes. Choirs may submit just two pieces if they choose.
The entry fee for Choir of the Year is AED 50 + 5% VAT per singer. Payment via paypal upon registration.
OTHER THINGS YOU MAY WISH TO KNOW
There will be a piano on stage for accompaniment purposes, but choirs may also provide alternative instrumental backing or sing a cappella. (Please note we will not provide an accompanist for your choir).
We will send out a timetable for these nearer the event.
We have very limited private rooms available for choirs to get changed before the concert.
Please let us know if you need any special sound equipment for your performance, for instance if you are bringing instrumental accompaniment that has amplification.
Food and Drink
Food and drinks are not provided, though there will be some great food trucks on site if you would like to purchase snacks, lunch and supper.
ChoirFest Middle East’s annual competition for choirs is very much the focus of the week and we encourage you to bring your friends and the whole family to enjoy great music and a true festival atmosphere.
In taking part in this event, choirs also agree to take part in any post-competition publicity if required and should be aware that there may be radio, TV or newspaper representation during the competitions. Photographs and video may be taken by The Fridge for use in future publicity.